A New TransAtlantic Cable System

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 15:33:08 UTC 2010

> Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifiers (EDFAs) do not re-shape or re-time the signals (the last 2 R's in 3R -- re-amplification, re-shaping, and re-timing)....

Thanks Chris - even more reading to do :) It's interesting stuff
that's for sure.
This is also pretty cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirped-pulse_amplification

I just had a thought about EFDA - please forgive my lack of
terminology though, i'll try to explain:
Say you have signal coming in to EFDA, the signal is just amplified
(as you said, also noise - the whole source signal).
Would it be possible to extract via PLL or similar the source clock
and use that to modulate the amplifier power?
Does it work with QPSK / whatever keying is used?
Would that even help with the noise issue at all, or am I waaaaay off?

Cheers