Anyone can share the Network card experience

Greg Whynott Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca
Tue Oct 5 14:50:57 UTC 2010

the question of which is better,  onboard vrs plug in would in part be determined by the type (make/model) of motherboard you are speaking of.   How they have IRQs allocated (which is something you may be able to adjust),  where it is attached to the bus etc…   Also,  what comes with the main board is what you get.   You can purchase option NICs with extra processors  (TOE for example) which offload your main CPU.

For 10Gbit we use Intel cards for production service machines,  and ConnextX/Intel in the HPC cluster.

-g