[Nanog-futures] Memberships, Bylaws and other election matters

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Oct 4 23:39:42 UTC 2010

>> personally, i am not strongly against it, but am sceptical.  it may get
>> a cash infusion now, but what will it do to income down the road when
>> folk don't need to renew? [0]
>
> Furthermore, your opposition will surely depress demand even more,
> because now folks are saying "why would I pay for a life membership
> that Randy, for reasons that are largely inexplicable, would attempt
> to revoke, leaving me with no recourse"*

first, i find your characterizing my being sceptical as opposition to be
almost offensive.  i dared to question your oh so wise authority.  given
the ad hominem defense, i now am far more sceptical and suspicious.

second, i have never said i would attempt to revoke it.   again you
grossly and unjustifiably wildly distort my statement.  what i said was
i recommended against passing it, and asked steve if he would include it
in the "we won't do until consensus is reached" list.  i said that very
clearly because i thought it unwindable, quite the opposite of what you
are attempting to put in my mouth.

i used to think you credible.  i no longer do.  but my opinions and 15
cents will get you on the subway.  well, you may also need a time
machine.

> I get the fellow thing, even if I think its silly. The opposition to
> student membership - I even understand that, although I respectfully
> disagree.

just charge 'em a different fee.

> your opposition to life memberships is starting to sound like
> reflexive opposition because you feel like being ornery.

then try q-tips.

>> does newnog actually need the infusion up front?  are there other ways
>> to deal with the financial problem that the attempt to create of this
>> class of membership implies?
> Yes, we do. I have done a complete analysis, which I offered to share with
> everyone at the community meeting.

some of us asked for the pro forma financials to be published many
months ago.  and now i missed my opportunity by going to kyoto for icnp
instead of going to atlanta.  damn!

and no, the 'budget' on the web site is far from sufficient.

> * Of course there IS a recourse if life membership is canceled. Its
> called "refund the unused portion of the life membership on a
> pro-rated basis".

not really good.  you made a contract.  stick to it.  we're not a credit
card company or google's so called privacy policy.

randy