Whois lookups (was: 2010.10.04 NANOG50 day 1 morning notes posted)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Oct 4 20:58:06 UTC 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 9:58 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>> Or the new whois doesn't scale as well as the old one.
>  New WHOIS scales much better than the old one; it would have
>  extremely challenging to assemble enough equipment to handle
>  the current query rate.  Look at the NANOG presentation slide
>  for the exact query rate graph, but we're handling orders of
>  magnitude more queries at present.

Looking at the graph on your 3 slide, it looks like ARIN is getting around 3200 whois queries per second.  How much of that query load is a result of non-port 43 queries (that is, making use of the REST features in the new server)?  It looks like the exponentiation in query load started around the same time the Whois-RWS was deployed...

Regards,
-drc