Akamai Traffic Spikes

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Oct 4 19:59:43 UTC 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Scott, Robert D. wrote:

> We were trying to diagnose an issue we had around 1 PM EDST, and were looking at net flow data. The data indicated a significant change in our traffic patterns, all coming from Akamai address space. The Akamai utilization graphs show a near doubling of retail traffic in the same time period that we had traffic spikes. Does anybody have any idea what caused such a major surge in traffic?
>
> http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/nui/retail/charts.html

Akamai is happy to discuss traffic to individual ASes with those ASes.  Please be sure to send e-mail from a verifiable address in that AS if you want information about that AS.

If you are a peer, the standard peering at akamai.com address works.

If you have Akamai boxes on your network, you can open a ticket with the Network Support group at NetSupport-tix at akamai.com.

Our 24/7 NOC, noc at akamai.com, can help with emergency problems, such as a congested link.  However, you will have to reach one of the other groups for in-depth, historical traffic investigation.

Or you can find one of the Akamai people at NANOG. :)

As for this specific problem, I haven't an idea what happened.  I can tell you Akamai's global traffic at 1300 EDT / 1700 UTC today was actually lower than yesterday's traffic at the same time.  Not sure if that means anything, though.

--
TTFN,
patrick