NEVERMIND! (was: ARIN Fraud Reporting Form ... )

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Oct 3 20:19:11 UTC 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 7:24 AM, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> I'm sitting here looking at your NRPM 3.6 and it says:
>
>  Unresponsive POC email addresses shall be marked as such in the database.
>
> OK, Fine.  So do you have a problem with ``marking those in the data base''
> and specifically within the associated AS and IP block records?  And if so why?

There is no problem with also marking resource records which have no valid
POC's (even if not specifically stated by policy).  It is an operational question
not a resource policy question, and we generally handle those by informing the
community of the plans to change practices through the ARIN consultation
and suggestion process (https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/index.html)

> And if you have a problem with that, they please explain when and why you
> suddenly developed a problem with it, because clearly ARIN _was_ doing this
> before, at some point. (And it sure looks like you are NOT doing it now.)
>
> I'd really like to know when and why ARIN stopped putting these annotations
> into the AS and IP block records associated with un-contactable POCs.
>
> Can you just answer me that?  I mean, you know, without directing my
> attention to some document which also doesn't answer the question?

Amazingly, you are my customer; i.e. I do indeed work for you and the rest
of the community.  So, I'm happy to try and address your questions (even if
at times it appears more of an inquisition than constructive engagement...)

The ARIN staff has been putting those notations in manually for net blocks
which lack valid contacts, but doing so is not required by policy and has
been resource intensive since the contact verification portion was manual.

We are now looking (as a result of your fine suggestion) at automating
this process of marking resource blocks with no valid contacts as an
inherent part of the new automated POC verification process.

/John

John Curran
President & CEO
ARIN