router lifetime

Brandon Kim brandon.kim at brandontek.com
Sun Oct 3 13:56:51 UTC 2010

I'm tasked to replace our core switches which run Extreme 6800's. You are right that some older gear says they support IPv6,
but then you find out it's not 100% fully compliant. Our switch is about 6-8 years old I beleive so it's time to update them.
We're thinking about the Cisco 6504e. Anything that is pretty modern that we feel will yield us another 6-8 years.
I only have a handful of juniper firewalls laying around for lab equipment, so I don't really have that much experience with them.

We also need to get IPv6 space from ARIN so that we can fully support IPv6 natively. Our plan is to dual-stack our edge routers,
so it is ultimately up to the endpoints to support IPv6. We don't want to deal with any tunneling protocols like Teredo for IPV6.