NEVERMIND! (was: ARIN Fraud Reporting Form ... )

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Oct 3 09:15:00 UTC 2010

In message <3070D3C0-513D-4CB9-8EC2-EB22CA52AE59 at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>On Oct 3, 2010, at 3:51 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>  Comment:        The information for this network has been reported to
>>  Comment:        be invalid. ARIN has attempted to obtain updated data, but has
>>  Comment:        been unsuccessful. To provide current contact information,
>>  Comment:        please e-mail hostmaster at arin.net.

>While I knew that we were building the list (as required by policy)
>of netblocks without any valid contact info, I was not aware that
>the entries would also be nicely annotated in WHOIS as shown above.
>
>Congrats, Ron, whatever your favorite holiday is, it comes early
>this year.

Sorry to be so dense, but I need to ask this explicitly:  So is that a "yes"?

Is that a "Yes, ARIN will begin immeditely putting these annotations into
all of the AS and IP records associated with POCs we already know are
uncontactable" ?

If so, can you provide a rough time estimate for completion?

(Note that I said ``rough''.  Whatever you might say, I won't hold you to
it.  I'd just sort-of like to know that this isn't going to be dead last
on the priority list at your place... because, as I think you can tell,
I certainly believe that it is important, and very very timely, because
the recent evidence suggests that the hijacking epidemic is getting out
of control, and this might help to staunch the bleeding a little bit.)

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  To be entirely honest, the only instances I have seen so far of the
annotation above look to me to have been placed in the relevant WHOIS
records perhaps six or more years ago.  I'm just saying John that if
what I posted makes you believe that your staff are creating/installing
these annotations _today_ ... well... check with them before assuming
that, because the only ones I've seen look to be kinda old.

I certainly hope that if this is something that ARIN _was_ doing and then
_stopped_ doing that you'll start up again, in a very big way.  But like
I say, I'm not really sure that your people have created any of these things
_recently_, i.e. in the past several years (but if that's true, I sure hope
you'll change that toot sweet).

P.P.S.  If you can get this one thing done, then I'll sing your praises
and take back all of the bad things I said when I was in the mood to rant
and rave.  This isn't as good as having a cop sitting there watching the
global routing table all day, but it would be a damn good second place
prize, and something I could live with (and not bitch so much).  And of
course, it has the great advantage of being something that actually looks
do-able, politically (which, as everybody and his brother has explained
to me, having a ``cop'' to watch the global routing table isn't).