ARIN IP/AS Assignment

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Sat Oct 2 21:17:26 UTC 2010

On 10/2/10 10:59 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Brielle Bruns wrote:
>
>> It took only a few days to be assigned our AS number, but that was
>> after hair pulling, head banging on desk, and
>> i-want-to-drink-every-night-after-work for a week or two while we
>> figured out how to work around the circular "You need to have two
>> upstreams first before we will assign an AS" rule but providers
>> can't/won't peer with you without one in the first place reality.
>
> It's been a while since I've applied for an ASN...but used to be you
> just put on the form that you've ordered connectivity from multiple
> providers with the intent of multihoming, and that was good enough for
> ARIN. If that's no longer good enough, I would think any understanding
> provider would let you setup the peering connection first, assign it a
> /30, and then wait for you to get your ASN to do the BGP part.

Long story, but the short of it is we were planning our IPv6 deployment,
and because of several issues couldn't get native ipv6 to our main
cabinet.  Given our low budget nature, another drop was not feasable
just to appease the ARIN rules, so it took time to brainstorm a plan of
action.

To do things the right way, yeah it made it harder and required
coordination and the help of the guys at HE.  But, the key being we
followed the rules and didn't try to game the system - we're multihomed
now, just not in the traditional way. :)

This comes back to the whole thing where the people who try do things
the right way always seem to have the biggest hassle, yet while those
are who are less honest, seem to get everything.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org