ARIN IP/AS Assignment

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Oct 2 16:59:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Brielle Bruns wrote:

> It took only a few days to be assigned our AS number, but that was after hair
> pulling, head banging on desk, and i-want-to-drink-every-night-after-work for
> a week or two while we figured out how to work around the circular "You need
> to have two upstreams first before we will assign an AS" rule but providers
> can't/won't peer with you without one in the first place reality.

It's been a while since I've applied for an ASN...but used to be you just
put on the form that you've ordered connectivity from multiple providers
with the intent of multihoming, and that was good enough for ARIN.  If
that's no longer good enough, I would think any understanding provider
would let you setup the peering connection first, assign it a /30, and
then wait for you to get your ASN to do the BGP part.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |