AS11296 -- Hijacked?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 1 23:16:16 UTC 2010

On Oct 1, 2010, at 3:48 PM, JC Dill wrote:

> Bryan Fields wrote:
>> On 10/1/2010 17:12, George Bonser wrote:
>>
>>> Citizen: "Hello, police?  There is a crate of M-16's and a truckload of
>>> ammunition just sitting here on the corner"
>>> Police:  "That is less than the Army goes through in 3 months ...
>>> *click*"
>>>

>> You'd have better luck calling the ATF, they are the ones empowered to enforce
>> the tax on machine guns.  The local police do not have any authority to
>> enforce those taxes, and could get sued if they tried to.
>>
> Here's an incident where the "local authorities" didn't know what to do about a possibly very worrisome incident at SJC (San Jose International Airport):
>
> <http://forums.mercurynews.com/topic/two-men-armed-with-assault-weapons-barely-cause-a-stir-at-mineta-san-jose-international-airpor>
>
> The problem is that people don't *think* - they just follow orders, follow their training.  No one had thought about or trained for this type of incident.  Fortunately, in this case, the people were not terrorists.  Meanwhile, TSA confiscates bottles of shampoo and water.
>
> jc

Having now read that article, it really strikes me as much ado about nothing.

The men were not concealing the lawfully carried weapons.
They were carrying the weapons in a lawful manner.
I suspect that all of their permits were in order.
They did not shoot anyone.
No animals were harmed in the making of this farce.

Turns out they were legitimate armed guards from US DoE on legitimate business.

Frankly, I'd be much more worried about the safety of whatever was in that
man's luggage being on the flight than about the guards carrying assault
rifles in the non-secure area of the airport.

Heck, we let SJPD carry guns in that area, why shouldn't the general public?

Owen