ARIN Fraud Reporting Form ... Don't waste your time

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Oct 1 21:27:47 UTC 2010

The problem as I see it is that ARIN is responsible for issuing number
resources but is not responsible for any maintenance of the number
space.  It seems they have no requirement/method/need to revoke
assignments once the assigned entity no longer exists.  I am not looking
for perfection but there should be some sort of diligence requirement
that the most obvious of the low hanging fruit (or fruit that falls
right off the tree into their lap) be dealt with in some way.  If an
entity liquidates, then their resources should be reclaimed.

How many entities does ARIN have who have not made a payment for 2 or
more consecutive years but still have resources assigned?  It is my
personal opinion that ARIN (and the other registrars) must have the
authority and the mechanism to reclaim community resources when the
entity they were issued to disappears.  That seems like a fairly easy
concept.  Note I am not talking about misuse here, just the fact that if
a community resource is issued to an entity and that entity no longer
exists, those resources should be reclaimed by the community within some
reasonable amount of time.