RIP Justification

Guerra, Ruben Ruben.Guerra at arrisi.com
Fri Oct 1 16:06:00 UTC 2010

Tim hit the nail on the head. Maintaining statics on a large network would become a huge problem. Human error will eventually occur. The network scenario I am speaking of is DSL/Cable type setups, where a customer could move from router to router(DSLAM/CMTS) due to capacity re-combines. Utilizing a dynamic routing protocol makes these types of changes easier to digest.

Using BGP would be overkill for most. Many small commercial customers to not want the complexity of BGP or want to spend money on extra resources (routers that actually support it) Sure for someone that needs to announce their own space or wants multi-homed connection def use BGP.

-Ruben