Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Tue Nov 30 19:02:09 UTC 2010

Maybe I am oversimplifying this a bit, but the way I see this situation is this:

1. L3 is carrying traffic for a popular service
2. Comcast customers want that service.
3. Comcast and L3 peer with each other (i.e. very little cost for either)
    (So, Comcast is paying very little to get that data into their network)
5. Comcast wants L3 to pay them for the traffic (WTF?)

Nobody pays me for bandwidth that *I* request and use.

That is just ridiculous.

I wonder how Comcast would feel if L3 said screw it, and sent all the traffic a different route. If it routed through a different provider (lets say "ProviderX"), would Comcast try to get ProviderX to pay for traffic it was sending?

-Randy

--
----