Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast'sActions

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Tue Nov 30 17:12:44 UTC 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 11:47 AM, George Bonser wrote:

>> Seriously this has nothing to do with L3 but more with Netflix...it's
>> clear that the Netflix business model is eating into Comcast VoD
>> business and so they are strong arming other providers to affect
>> Netflix's business model. But as others have stated what would happen
>> if
>> Comcast starts coming after every service provider's hosting services
>> that Comcast doesn't like?
>>
>> Bret
>>

> I think it has more to do with this:
>
> http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_16526623?source
> =rss
>

> The cable companies are losing subs at an increasing rate.  People are
> using them for internet and not buying the television programming.  If
> Comcast can't collect from their "cord-cutting" customers, then they
> will collect from the content providers whose products their customers
> are using.

I have been told that "cutting the cord" are the 3 most frightening words in the cable industry today.

IMO, they need to see that they are service providers, not gate-keepers. I am afraid that the Level-3 response here
may help them to cling on to the legacy business model and avoid facing the new situation before them.

Regards
Marshall