Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Nov 30 14:27:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Bret Clark wrote:
>> Or why don't you build a network to places that Comcast peers at; and
>> bypass L3 completely and negotiate a peering relationship directly with
>> Comcast?
>
> We tried Comcast wouldn't peer with us because they considered us a
> compeititor.
>
> Seriously this has nothing to do with L3 but more with Netflix...it's clear
> that the Netflix business model is eating into Comcast VoD business and so
> they are strong arming other providers to affect Netflix's business model.
> But as others have stated what would happen if Comcast starts coming after
> every service provider's hosting services that Comcast doesn't like?

Comcast claims it offered Level3 the same CDN deal it has with other
Netflix CDN competitors.  Level3 didn't want the same deal.  According to
Comcast, Level 3 wants a 'special' deal.  Of course, Level 3 spins it the
other way and claims that it offered Comcast a settlement-free deal, but
Comcast didn't want it now.

Level 3 has been trying to strong arm other providers for a decade.  MCI,
Sprint, ANS, UUNET, and others lost in history, have been doing it even
longer.  As BBN showed with the WORLDCOM/MCI/UUNET merger, now is an
opportune time for Level 3 to obtain concessions from Comcast.

Its always fun watching one long time toll-booth operator (Level 3)
complain when someone new sets up another toll-booth (Comcast).