Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

Steven Fischer sfischer1967 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 03:36:56 UTC 2010

OK...as I was driving up and back on I-95 through Connecticut up toward
Boston, I noticed that at all the rest/gas-up stops, there was a single
restaurant - McDonalds. No Burger Kings, Wendy, etc...just McDonalds.  Now
I'm relatively certain that McD's had to pony up significant coin to be the
restaurant of choice for the I-95 corridor through Connecticut.  That
commercial agreement was made with the owners of the infrastructure (in the
case, the state of Connecticut) prior to McDonald establishing a presence on
the highway.

It would be bad form, IMO, for the state to come back to Mc'D's and say
"hey...you guys are doing a thriving business here...we want a bigger cut,
and if we don't get it, we'll barracade the exits and you'll do NO business
in these shops you've stood up.  Furthermore, we don't care if our customers
(drivers on the highway) have bought the McD's meal plan for their frequent
trips up and down the road...they can't do business here."
Comcast has essentially quarantined off part of the 'net.  The point was
made earlier - does Comcast take the same stand against Google?  Are they
going to tax Amazon (Holiday traffic, you know) for their traffic, or any
other online merchant that may not use Comcast as a primary provider?
Comcast's infrastructure is getting overrun by legitimate traffic requested
by their own customers - I'm not a NetFlix subscriber, but the way I
understand it is that the customer requests content in the form of movies
over the net - content is not arbitrarily provided by the content provider.
Instead of rasing the tarriffs for the true consumers in this case - being
their customers, they're going after the content provider.  Anti-competitive
at best.  The truth is, given today's media-rich content, Comcast can't
deliver a 15mb constant stream of traffic (or whatever it is they claim to
offer), at $19.95/month - they've made a business decision to over-subscribe
their infrastructure, and had a formula for the level to which they were
going to over-subscribe their network.  That formula either wasn't accurate
then, or didn't take into account the media-rich content that would be
delivered over the net.  Now, the second explanation really doesn't hold
water in light of the fact that Comcast also offers premium content similar
to NetFlix.  A significant portion of the Comcast subscriber base has
decided the content available from NetFlix either in content or delivery,
superior to that offered by Comcast.  So Comcast is now saying ..."wait...to
get your content to our customers, your traffic has to traverse our
backbone, therefore, we should be able to extract a tarriff for said
traffic."  But the NetFlix subscription is a fully "opt-in" model.  L3, via
NetFlix, is simply delivering the content Comcast customers have requested,
and using the Internet to delivery it.

Comcast has truly handled this all wrong...they should either a) charge
their customers a more realistic monthly fee  - one more in line with what
it takes to deliver what their level-of-service claims they offer, or b)
improve the quality and/or delivery of their premium content, or make it
more cosst-effective to their customers, so their customers don't have to go
"off-net" to get the premium content they desire.  What they did is take the
easy route, which is/was to try to get into the pockets of the successful
content provider, because their network is ill-equipped to handle their own
level-of-service claims.