experience with equinix exchange

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Nov 29 21:39:21 UTC 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:03:21PM -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> The only thing I would change is that Any2 has at least one exchange
>> with traffic (Los Angeles) and is distributed throughout the country.
>>
>> But the vast majority of traffic exchange over IXes in the US is over
>> Equinix/PAIX switches.  And a very large amount of traffic over
>> private interconnects is also done in their buildings.
>
> Woops, yes I forgot Any2 (how'd that happen? :P). Like Telx they've
> recently deployed a bunch of new exchanges "all over", but there is
> really only the one that does any traffic. :)
>
> For comparison purposes:
>
> http://www.seattleix.net/agg.htm
> http://www.nyiix.net/index.php?core=statistics.php
> http://tie.telx.com/usage.pl
> http://www.coresite.com/peering-any2charts.php
>
> I don't think the combined Equinix / S&D numbers are published publicly
> anywhere, but I'm sure it's north of a terabit. :)

Even combined, no.  It's north of 700 Gbps though.  I am assuming they have combined S&D into the graph, though:

   <https://ix.equinix.com/peeringstats/userHome.do?action=home>

Given that Any2 is in the 200 range, Equinix is clearly more - more than all four combined.

But all the traffic on every Equinix and PAIX switch combined, is still lower than the traffic on any one of the three large exchanges in Europe.  It really is all about the PNIs.

--
TTFN,
patrick