experience with equinix exchange

Ryan Finnesey ryan.finnesey at HarrierInvestments.com
Sun Nov 28 21:45:28 UTC 2010

Would it be fair to say they run most of the peering points within the
States?  I find that peering within Europe is much more open than in the
States.  Does the group feel that is because most of the exchange points
are run as nonprofits?

-----Original Message-----
From: George Bonser [mailto:gbonser at seven.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:48 AM
To: Ryan Finnesey
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: RE: experience with equinix exchange

I haven't had any specific problems with them but they are a bit
retentive when it comes to doing certain things.  There was the RMA
module that arrived one day.  You have to initiate a "shipping ticket"
when you think something might arrive.  In other words, you must open a
ticket with them BEFORE something arrives there which can sometimes be a
bit difficult when you are building out a new facility as you have no
idea who is going to ship what when.  They have eased up on that a
little in the past few months, at least at 11 Great Oaks.  Not a
showstopper, just a bit of a pain in the hips, one more little thing
that needs doing and is easily overlooked.

After I replaced that module I went to drop it off at the shipping area,
it came with a return shipper so there wasn't really anything needed
beyond them handing the box to the UPS guy next time he came by ...
another remote hands ticket required for me to hand them a box and for
them to hand the box to someone else.  I suppose I could have dropped it
off myself at a UPS bin on the way home.

BUT, I am overall very pleased with the facility and the operation.
There are little quirky things that make it somewhat of a pain but in my
experience each provider has their own quirks.  At least I can take my
modules in there in the cardboard box, unlike Savvis at 4700 Old
Ironsides where they have a box cop who won't allow a speck of cardboard
past the sign-in window.