Jumbo frame Question

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Nov 26 17:26:30 UTC 2010

On (2010-11-25 21:14 -0800), George Bonser wrote:

Hey George,

> 9000 MTU internally. We don't deploy any servers anymore with MTU 1500.
> MTU 1500 is just plain stupid with any network >100mb ethernet.

I'm big proponent of high MTU, to facilitate user MTU of 1500 while adding
say GRE or IPSEC overhead. But calling it plain stupid to run MTU of 1500
is quite the over statement.

irb(main):001:0> 1460.0/(38+1500)
=> 0.949284785435631
irb(main):002:0> 8960.0/(38+9000)
=> 0.991369772073468
irb(main):003:0>

You are theoretically winning 4.2%, which works only internally in your
network, so maybe you'll be able to capitalize on that 4.2% on backup
traffic or so.
Doesn't seem like that critical win to be honest.

--
  ++ytti