reporting physical plant damage to AT&T?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Thu Nov 25 21:14:45 UTC 2010

there's a pacific telephone j-box at the edge of a parking lot in san mateo
california that's been hit by a car hard enough to spring the door open.  the
copper punchdowns are now freely and publically accessible.  i think it's not
pac tel or pac bell or sbc any more, so what i need is to know how to tell
AT&T that they've got a physical plant problem that will soon be customer
affecting, especially with the weather like it is.  there was a call-before-
you-dig sticker on it so i called that number and they said it wasn't their
problem.  i'm trying to do the right thing by asking AT&T to make it so if
i google for "report damage to at&t" it will give a useful result.  meanwhile
if someone from at&t asks me i will tell them the road address of the box.

(i am not an at&t customer and calling 1-800-CALL-ATT did me no good at all.)