Blocking International DNS

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 22 15:59:07 UTC 2010

On Nov 22, 2010, at 7:25 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2010-11-22, at 00:00, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
>
>> Indeed, offshore resolvers, offshore DNS infrastructure and the
>> progressive's futile attempts at interference with free markets is
>> once again thwarted. We all know that U.S. law helps keep the internet
>> safe </sarcasm>
>
> You don't think
>
> "(i) a service provider, as that term is defined in section 512(k)(1) of title 17, United States Code, or other operator of a domain name system server shall take reasonable steps that will prevent a domain name from resolving to that domain name’s Internet protocol address;"
>
> could be taken as a requirement for providers to intercept attempts to use off-network DNS resolvers and manage such requests to meet the end goal above?
>
> Given that many providers already do this (for whatever reason), it's not much of a stretch to see someone declaring that such behaviour falls under the umbrella of "reasonable steps".
>
> I'm not suggesting that I think any of this is reasonable or sensible, but it does seem to imply an operational burden on service providers.

If it does, then, you'll find open tunnel servers providing tunnels to off-shore DNS services.

Sigh.

I really wish congress had better things to do than getting into a technology arms race with the people of the united states.
Oh, wait, they do have better things to do, they just aren't doing them.

Owen