Auditing a network to add Voice

Bret Clark bclark at spectraaccess.com
Mon Nov 22 15:54:21 UTC 2010

Iperf can be used to measure jitter and delay as well as simulate a
quasi VoIP call. You can also use mtr under Linux which provides jitter
and delay measurements from one point to another point. A g.729 call
(lower quality) takes about ~40kbps and a g.711 (high quality) used
about ~100Kbps of bandwidth. With most of today's networks, the problem
isn't bandwidth related, but more with jitter, delay, and packet loss
through the network...personally I'm a big fan of deploying QoS through
out an infrastructure...well at least in our WAN infrastructure.

Bret