IPv6

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 22:20:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:

>> Well,
>>
>> ipv6.ycpi.ops.yahoo.net has IPv6 address 2a00:1288:f006:1fe::1000
>> ipv6.ycpi.ops.yahoo.net has IPv6 address 2001:4998:f00b:1fe::1000
>> ipv6.ycpi.ops.yahoo.net has IPv6 address 2001:4998:f011:1fe::1000
>>
>> In my bgp I see only the first address, I don't see any path to two
>> others. Do you have the route to them?
>>

> I see two of them directly from yahoo : 2001:4998::/32 (that covers the
> last two IPs) but the first one comes to me via HE (2a00:1288::/32)
>
> You think many people are going to type the "v6" part of the URL
> considering most people when they get v6 won't even know if they have it
> or not?

Only people that know what they want will type the ipv6.*.example.com
stuff.  It's self selecting.  This will keep the non-techies away from
the new IPv6 deployments while the network operators and content
providers work out the kinks.

I believe the life-cycle for IPv6 introduction at the biggest web
sites will be ipv6.*.example.com, then ipv6 DNS white list, then open
the flood gates.  Other sites will go directly to opening the flood
gates depending on their user profiles.  There is a lot of great work
going on to see what the risk is for opening AAAA to all users

http://www.fud.no/ipv6/

Here is one take on the discussion of whitelist

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-livingood-dns-whitelisting-implications-01

Cameron
======
http://groups.google.com/group/tmoipv6beta