Introducing draft-denog-v6ops-addresspartnaming

David Israel davei at otd.com
Fri Nov 19 15:16:55 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 4:57 AM, George Bonser wrote:

>> It's always two bytes, but people may choose to omit them. That is a
>> social, not a (purely) technical, syntax, though.
>>

>> Richard
> That's exactly what I was going to say but didn't want to quibble.  We tend to call them "quads" at work.  What do you call that indeterminate space between two colons :: where it might be four or more zeros in there? That's a bunch of nibbles, maybe a "gulp"?

Yeah, I think I'd quibble with quibble; it's antagonistic.  "Gulp" has
serious potential in casual conversation (especially because you can
refer to the excluded "::" portion as "the Big Gulp") but somehow I
don't see it used in technical documentation.  I like "morsel,"
personally.  (Well, I also like "collop," because it's arcane and sounds
vaguely dirty to me, but I don't think that would catch on.)