Why is your company treating IPv6 turn ups as a sales matter?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 18 23:19:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM, George, Wes E [NTK]
<Wesley.E.George at sprint.com> wrote:
>>Sprint and Qwest, I know you're guilty.
> [WES] Bill, I know that you mean well and you're just trying to push IPv6
> deployment, and sometimes a little public shame goes a long way, but in the
> future, before you call my company out in public with tenuous assertions
> like this, please at least try to reach out to me privately to address your
> perceived issue with the way Sprint is handling IPv6 rollout? It's not like
> I'm hard to find, even if it's a blast message to NANOG that looks like
> "Will someone with IPv6 clue at Sprint contact me?"

Hi Wes,

I apologize for singling you out. I brought the subject up after
getting the same, what I thought decidedly odd response to my IPv6
turn up request from more than one upstream.

My point was this: if IPv6 is the next Internet protocol then at some
point in the very near future it is a -standard- component of -every-
product you're paid for. Not a "new" feature customers may order. At
worst it's like requesting IP addresses - an included component
configurable with a tech support ticket.

For those of you whose companies are not yet treating IPv6 as a
-standard- service (at least where available), carefully consider why
not.

Also, bear in mind that as an end user, we know where to find the tech
support system 'cause the lines break at 3 am and I have you on speed
dial. We may not have talked to our sales rep in a year or more. In
some cases (Verizon) I don't have the foggiest idea who my current
account rep is.

If I'm asked to sign papers (as some folks have reported for some
carriers) that's enough of a barrier that I probably won't turn up
IPv6 right now. It's not about the dollars. If it has to be signed, it
has to be vetted by legal. Intentionally asking legal to closely
examine my activities is a little like going to the doctor --
necessary and often helpful but sometimes the prescription is a rectal
exam.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to hear from my account rep about how
you're ready to turn up IPv6 on my line at my convenience and oh by
the way check out our wonderful new products for sale. But when I have
to track the rep down and treat IPv6 as a new product rather than a
configuration change, that's a hassle which leaves me with a negative
feelings about your company.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004