The i-root china reroute finally makes fox news. And congress.

Martin A. Brown mabrown at renesys.com
Wed Nov 17 09:38:42 UTC 2010

Greetings,

 > >> http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/16/internet-traffic-reportedly-routed-chinese-servers/
 >
 > Hard to decipher what the Fox report is actually talking about,
 > but I suspect it relates to
 > http://www.renesys.com/blog/2010/06/two-strikes-i-root.shtml

I would echo the thoughts earlier in this thread that the Fox story
is making rather non-technical or technically vague statements.

As I read the text [*], my suspicion is that this report has very
little to do with the I-root's global Beijing instance (exposure to
risk here would requires DNS tampering, visibility outside China
and, to boot, is probabilistic, rather than wholesale).  The article
makes references to the terms hijacking, redirection, a 'state-owned
Chinese telecommunications firm' and 'security vulnerabilities
pertaining to Internet routing processes'.

It seems much more likely that this article is a digested summary of
the routing leak (re-origination) of tens of thousands of prefixes
by AS 27374, discussed on this list and detailed by BGPMon:

  http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-April/020789.html
  http://bgpmon.net/blog/?p=282

Danny McPherson also posted a nice summary here, as well, and
identfies the problem we know and love so well (BGP) and even refers
'routing by rumour', as you did David.

  http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2010-April/020864.html

The Fox story twice refers to 2010-04-18, but the date was
2010-04-08.

-Martin

Martin A. Brown --- Renesys Corporation --- mabrown at renesys.com