OT: VM slicing and dicing

Brandon Kim brandon.kim at brandontek.com
Tue Nov 16 13:04:17 UTC 2010

Thanks for the suggestions James! One of the issues I had, (which is why I turned to NANOG) was that I wasn't entirely
sure what keywords to search for!! So thank you for that. All of the criteria's you brought up are valid and I will add them
to the list of things to consider.

It's awfully difficult to figure out who can do what as it's just not possible to test all the different vendors out there unless
you have a large R&D team and a lot of time.

I think we are on the same page as far as what "We" think I need. But just to clarify.

1) We'd like to be able to have a web portal where new or existing clients could request servers of all types: windows, linux etc...
Configure what it is that they need and in some amount of time, the VM's are provisioned. They receive some kind of email confirming
that their new provisioned server is available.

2) Backend - Since we haven't invested much time into the backend, we're open to all possibilities. It doesn't need to be VMware at all.
Xen seems to be extremely popular.

3) Licensing - Of course this will be all unique to each vendor but the more complicated the licensing, the more it's a turn off and difficult to
keep track of. Not to "plug". But so far OnApp's pricing is very straightforward.

4) Multi-Tenant - Absolutely needs to support this.

I don't expect anyone here to do research for me, but I assume that being a network operator, many of us would have some input and clearly
I've received great feedback. I've been in touch with numerous vendors that were given to me from this thread and I can't wait to demo/try their products....

One question I do have for any that actually read through this entire email (haha) is about the physical network switch. Is there a case for the switch, especially
in today's high density environment to go with 1GIG switches as the minimum? It seems pretty obvious but I'm wondering if it's really a necessity?
Can anyone on this list argue that 10/100 will be suffice?

Thanks again!

Brandon