OT: VM slicing and dicing

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Nov 15 07:59:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Charles N Wyble wrote:
>
>> I use Proxmox exclusively and am very happy with it. It's a great product.
>> You might need to do a bit of CLI work if you want to support multiple VLANS
>> or other slightly advanced features. I'm lazy but I might get around to
>> patching the web UI at some point to support the stuff I do manually.  The
>> OpenVZ docs are very clear and the process is pretty trivial to do on the
>> CLI.
>
> I've used OpenVZ at many sites and been really happy with it.
>
> Managing OpenVZ from the CLI is easy.  I wrote wrapper scripts to perform
> the desired functions.
>
> It has extensive documentation available.  From a documentation point of
> view it really stands out among OSS and even commercial apps.

Make sure you have sized the beancounters (resource limits) for your
applications and workload.  With the default beancounter settings, a
default centos5 install of postfix (100 process max -- per service, ie
100 smtpd and 100 smtp) or dovecot (100 each for imap/pop3, etc.) you
will run into limits very quickly.

Using vzsplit helps a lot.