Questions about radio resource allocation in 3G data network

¹â¹â wzg312 at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Nov 15 07:32:23 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I have some specific question about radio resource allocation in 3G data
network.

In  the UMTS 3G data network, the smartphone has to acquire radio resource  from
RNC before it can talk to any server on the Internet. Allocating  radio resource
usually takes a few seconds (2+ seconds) to complete and  thus causes delays to
the smartphone applications. This process will  involve RRC connection setup and
radio  bearer reconfiguration.

From my  observation, the delay caused by the radio resource allocation varies a
lot over time and seems it is not only caused by the radio access  network. So I
was wondering what network devices are involved in the  radio resource
allocation besides the phone, base-station and RNC? And  what are the factors
that can potentially affect the observed delay?

Thanks a lot!

-Gary