Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun Nov 14 03:54:12 UTC 2010

I've been tracking Internet bandwidth usage for several schools (RESNET-L
reports), and I've seen it as low at 2.1 kbps/FTE (5+ years ago) to higher
than 300 kbps/FTE.  Most of the schools are between 30 to 60 kbps/FTE at
this time.  Very broadly speaking, rural and smaller schools are on the low
end, while state schools with tens of thousands of students are on the
higher end. Internet2 plays in the mix as well.

In terms of growth rates, while our ISP serves only one college, even though
they've been growing their bandwidth pipe at low-double digits per year,
they are maxed out most days from mid-day to 1 am.  If most ISPs see
end-user traffic grow 50 to 80% per year, I can't see why schools would be
much out of that range.

Frank