OT: VM slicing and dicing

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Nov 12 21:00:42 UTC 2010

On 11/12/2010 12:09 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Charles N Wyble wrote:
>
>> I use Proxmox exclusively and am very happy with it. It's a great
>> product. You might need to do a bit of CLI work if you want to
>> support multiple VLANS or other slightly advanced features. I'm lazy
>> but I might get around to patching the web UI at some point to
>> support the stuff I do manually.  The OpenVZ docs are very clear and
>> the process is pretty trivial to do on the CLI.
>

> Managing OpenVZ from the CLI is easy.  I wrote wrapper scripts to
> perform the desired functions.

Yeah. It's very easy. Proxmox is for super lazy people like me. :)

> It has extensive documentation available.  From a documentation point
> of view it really stands out among OSS and even commercial apps.

Yes. The documentation is fantastic. Top notch. OpenVZ is very simple
and utilizes existing features in Linux directly. As opposed to XEN (at
least as it ships with centos 5) which utilizes an entire super
structure of complex shell scripts to do it's networking setup. If you
have a few years of server admin experience it's very easy to get up and
going. You can utilize all your existing CLI knowledge.