AS path question.

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Nov 11 12:31:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:35:50 EST, Jon Lewis said:
>
>> anywhere near that long".  Worst case, someone is silly with their number
>> of prepends, we don't see their route.  I can't say how long I've been
>> doing this...it predates our rancid setup, which means >6 years.  Though
>> it's caused numerous dropped routes, it hasn't generated a single
>> complaint.
>
> Ezzactly.  Of course, the victim of the dropped route has no easy way to figure
> out that you've dropped his route, and continues to cruise along oblivious to
> what happened...

Unless they actually want to talk to one of our customers or one of our
customers wants to talk to them.

Speaking of prepends, what's the community opinion on prepending someone
else's ASN on your routes for TE purposes if you're announcing routes you
don't want certain AS's to see, but don't have a communities knob that
works for those networks?  I was pretty negative on the idea until I was
in the situation of having a working knob taken away.  Nobody's
complaining about it...probably not even noticing it.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |