AS path question.

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Thu Nov 11 02:09:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 03:39:31PM -0500, Greg Whynott wrote:
[snip]
> i have my maxas-limit set to 10 based on an article I was reading.
> perhaps I should up that a bit.

That article was deeply mistaken.  50 was reasonable for older IOS with
bugs back in ... 2001-2003? I think.  under the auspices of apnic, gih
has done serious study of network diameter [specifically in relation to
churn and background noise, but useful data here].  I'm a big fan of
belts and suspenders but would reccomend taking at least a coarse
analysis of the path lengths seen in your neck of the woods from your
providers before setting a number.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE