AS path question.

Rettke, Brian Brian.Rettke at cableone.biz
Thu Nov 11 02:07:05 UTC 2010

If it's not a private AS, and it is the one that I own, who cares? AS-Path is the best mandatory value that is completely within my control to manipulate, which explains its proliferation in the network. I'd rather do it myself than have to rely on someone else.

That being said, I've found that more vendors are manipulating local preference values themselves, but offer local preference and other attributes to be set upstream. Which now has shifted the de-facto standards of MED and AS-PATH to the back burner.

Sincerely,

Brian A . Rettke
RHCT, CCDP, CCNP, CCIP
Network Engineer, CableONE Internet Services