Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

Curtis, Bruce Bruce.Curtis at ndsu.edu
Wed Nov 10 22:57:20 UTC 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> While the answer is always it depends, I was wondering what the current
> rules of thumb university network engineers are using for capacity
> planning and oversubscription for resnets and admin networks?
>
> For K-12, SETDA (http://www.setda.org/web/guest/2020/broadband) is
> recommending:
>
> - An external Internet connection to the Internet Service Provider of at
> least 100 Mbps per 1,000 students/staff
> - Internal wide area network connections from the district to each school
> and between schools of at least 1 Gbps per 1,000 students/staff
>
> How does that compare with university and enterprise network rules of
> thumb?

  Page 10 of the presentation on the link you provided says those are the numbers they recommend "for the next 5-7 years".  Perhaps they meant to say "in 5 to 7 years"?

  "for the next 2-3 years" they recommend 10 Mbps per 1,000 people to an ISP and 100 Mbps per 1,000 people between schools.

  Our campus is already using almost 3 times the ISP bandwidth recommended "for the next 2-3 years".

  If we take our current ISP bandwidth and increase it by 50% every year for 5 years it would be about twice the 100 Mbps per 1,000 students/staff recommendation.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University