Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Wed Nov 10 19:14:46 UTC 2010

Sometimes it is a hard sell, but the factor most overlooked when
designing high speed networks is that of designing for low latency.
Bandwidth and over/under subscription are only part of the network
design. Low latency networks (regional RTTs of 1-5 milliseconds; campus
RTTs in the sub millisecond range for GiGE, and microsecond range for 10
GiGE) by their nature solve a lot of QoS problems, often relegating QoS
as a method to be used in emergency cases only, such as DoS attacks.

Here is something I have been thinking is not too far over the horizon:
commodity 48 port x 10/100 GiGE switches; 10 GiG NICs on the desktop;
commodity-priced 10,40, or 100 GiGE WAN links; while user bandwidth
requirements rise at a much slower rate. Some switch vendors even today
have 48 port 10 GiGE switches in the $25K range.

My rule of thumb is that 1 GiGE link is an order of magnitude lower
latency than a 100 Mbps link, and a 10 GiGE link is an order of
magnitude lower latency than a GiGE link.