Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Nov 10 16:54:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:42:32 EST, ML said:
> > - An external Internet connection to the Internet Service Provider of at
> > least 100 Mbps per 1,000 students/staff

30K students here, 2x10GE to the outside world.

> > - Internal wide area network connections from the district to each
> > school and between schools of at least 1 Gbps per 1,000 students/staff

Not applicable when you're mostly just one campus, unless you want to discuss
per-building feeds. Most of our buildings have 1 or more 1G uplinks to a 10GE
core network, and some larger ones have their own 10G uplink. There's a few outlier
buildings that have a dozen or so people that still have 100M uplinks.

> I can tell you that no one I know in K-12 or Higher Education has the
> capacity for 1GE per 1000 students. Same goes for the WAN connection.

We're working on deploying 1G to the desktop.  Some buildings are going faster
than others - the ones we wired first are now the hardest, because there's a
lot of Cat-3 in them.  The later ones that already have Cat-6 will be easier.
With something like 120 buildings to do, it's going to take a while.