RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 9 02:20:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
>> And so, "...the first principle of our proposed new network architecture: Layers are recursive."
>
> : Anyone who has bridged an ethernet via a TCP based
> : IPSec tunnel understands that layers are recursive.
>
> WRT the paper I'm having trouble correlating what you say with their
> notion of recursive layer network communications.
> It seems apples and oranges

Hi Scott,

Having skimmed the article and some of its predecessors, I find it
hard to determine whether there's any correlation. REALLY hard.

>> http://www.ionary.com/PSOC-MovingBeyondTCP.pdf
>
> : John Day has been chasing this notion long enough to write three
> : network stacks. If it works and isn't obviously inferior in its
> : operational resource consumption, where's the proof-of-concept code?
>
> TINOS will provide the underlying platform and execution
> environment upon which a RINA prototype can be developed.

"will provide"
"can be developed"

> the "CBA prototype" link being:
> http://www.tssg.org/4WARD/2010/07/component_based_architecture_n.html

Described in the videos as a clever modeling tool forked off of JNode
which had a plain old TCP/IP stack written in Java.

But what I'm still missing is use of that modeling system to
demonstrate any concepts in Day's plan.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> From: Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at>
> : I note that he doesn't actually describe how to implement
> : a large-scale addressing and routing architecture. It's all
> : handwaving.
>
> There is more discussed in the book.

A colleague thoughtfully lent me a copy of the book. I found it more
incondite than recondite.

I'd like there to be some abstruse nugget of insight in there. I
really would. Maybe you can tell me the page number, 'cause I just
can't wade through the rest of it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004