RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Mans Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Mon Nov 8 23:17:18 UTC 2010

Subject: Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-) Date: Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 10:08:53PM +0000 Quoting Nick Hilliard (nick at foobar.org):
> On 08/11/2010 21:51, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > So there's empirical data that It Does Indeed Matter (at least to some
> > people).

> Anyway, all of the arguments for it, both pro and con, have been rehashed
> on this thread.  The bottom line is that for most companies, it simply
> isn't worth the effort, but that for some NRENs, it is.

And NREN-NREN traffic typically does not traverse commercial IXen.
(Even though ISTR Sunet and Nordunet having peerings configured on
Netnod).  Instead, from empire-building reasons or job security or "No
research project is complete unless the professor gets a new laptop and
a wavelength to CERN (or in USA, pick a DoE site) from the project
money", NRENs build their own...  I am convinced that some applications
actually benefit from this, though.

> Let's move on now.

Indeed.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668