RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 8 16:17:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:56:17PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:

> I note that he doesn't actually describe how to implement a large-scale
> addressing and routing architecture. It's all handwaving.

I'm probably vying for nanog-kook status as well, but in high-dimensional
spaces blocking is arbitrarily improbable. Think of higher-dimensional
analogs of 3d-Bresenham (which is local-knowledge only), then blow away
most of the links. It still works. You have to wire the network appropriately
to loosely follow geography (which is of course currently a show-stopper)
and label the nodes appropriately -- as a bonus, you can derive node
ID by mutual iterative refinement, pretty much like relativistic time
of flight mutual "triangulation".

Another issue is purely photonic cut-through at very high data rates:
there's not that much time to do a routing decision even if your packet
stuck in molasses as slow light or circulating in a fiber loop FIFO.
So not only are photonic gates expensive (and conversion to electronics
and back is right out), you might not stack too many individual gate
delays on top of each other.

Networks are much too smart still, what you need is the barest decoration
upon the raw physics of this universe.