RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sun Nov 7 08:45:53 UTC 2010

On 7 Nov 2010, at 08:24, George Bonser wrote:

> It will happen on its own as more and more networks configure internally
> for larger frames and as more people migrate out of academia where 9000
> is the norm these days into industry.

I used to run a large academic network; there was a vanishingly small incidence of edge ports supporting >1500byte MTU. It's possibly even more tricky than the IX situation to support in an environment where you commonly have mixed devices at different speeds (most 100mbit devices will not support >1500) on a single L2, often under different administrative control.