RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Nov 7 07:34:56 UTC 2010

> The only reason to use (10)GE for transmission in WAN is the completely
> baroque price difference in interface pricing. With todays line rates,
> the components and complexity of a line card are pretty much equal
> between SDH and GE. There is no reason to overcharge for the better
> interface except because they (all vendors do this) can.

Yes, I really don't understand that either.  You would think that the investment in developing and deploying all that SONET infrastructure has been paid back by now and they can lower the prices dramatically.  One would think the vendors would be practically giving it away, particularly if people understood the potential improvement in performance, though the difference between 1500 and 4000 is probably not all that much except on long distance ( >2000km ) paths.