RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Sat Nov 6 23:55:00 UTC 2010

On Nov 6, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 21:40:30 -0400
> Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree.tv> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 5, 2010, at 7:26 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

>>> Who ever wrote that doesn't know what they're talking about. LISP is
>>> not the IETF's proposed solution (the IETF don't have one, the IRTF do),
>>
>> Um, I would not agree. The IRTF RRG considered and is documenting a lot of things, but did not
>> come to any consensus as to which one should be a "proposed solution."
>>

> I probably got a bit keen, I've been reading through the IRTF RRG
> "Recommendation for a Routing Architecture" draft which, IIRC, makes a
> recommendation to pursue Identifier/Locator Network Protocol rather
> than LISP.

That is not a consensus document - as it says

   To this end, this
   document surveys many of the proposals that were brought forward for
   discussion in this activity, as well as some of the subsequent
   analysis and the architectural recommendation of the chairs.

and (Section 17)

   Unfortunately, the group
   did not reach rough consensus on a single best approach.

The Chairs suggested that work continue on ILNP, but it is a stretch to
characterize that as the RRG's solution, much less the IRTF's.

(LISP is an IETF WG now, but with an experimental focus on its charter -
"The LISP WG is NOT chartered to develop the final
or standard solution for solving the routing scalability problem.")

Regards
Marshall