IPv6 fc00::/7 - Unique local addresses

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Nov 6 00:34:31 UTC 2010

On 11/1/10 9:42 PM, Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
>> My guess is that the millions of residential users will be less and
>> less enthused with (pure) PA each time they change service providers...

Hi, almost everytime I open my laptop it gets a different ip address,
sometimes I'm home and it gets that same ip it had the last time I was
there.

once in a very great while my home gateway changes it's ip address,
since it does dynamic dns updates I have no trouble finding it, and in
fact the network storage perhipheral that I have thinks nothing of using
upnp to punch a hole in the gateway all on it's own... These are mostly
low touch and either zero or very little configuration required.

The consumer isn't got to tollerate systems which don't work
automatically or very nearly so, which means among other things having
an ip address change or even have your home gateway(s) help the
downstream devices renumber themselves.

> That claim seems to be unsupported by current experience.   Please elaborate.

It's not only not supported by current experience it seems really
unlikely to be supported by future experience, e.g. many device you have
are mobile, and a connected to more than one network at a time they
still may be gatewaying for downstream devices. if somewhere along the
line you solved this for the mobility case it is going to work for
networks which are more stable.