BGP support on ASA5585-X

khatfield at socllc.net khatfield at socllc.net
Fri Nov 5 23:47:32 UTC 2010

They could make it out of the box but this is why Dylan made his statement. The platform simply doesn't perform well enough enough to support all of that functionality on the current ASA models. I know first-hand from much of our testing the ASA's rarely meet the box specs for PPS/throughput simply serving the purpose as a static firewall. They would have to dramatically improve the system performance prior to adding any additional CPU / timing dependent features.

IMHO you would see better performance out of BSD. I won't open that can o' worms but the ROI for the ASA line is quite out of balance.