Token ring? topic hijack: was Re: Mystery open source switching

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Nov 3 16:42:24 UTC 2010

Gary Baribault <gary at baribault.net> wrote:

> And you live in a cabin in the woods, pedal a generator to get the
> router up and the router is connected to a 56K Dial-up morem?

I have never used those "56K" dial-up modems because they are asymmetric:
it's only "56K" in the downstream direction, and I oppose that on
principle.  Prior to switching to my current 384 kbps SDSL (served by a
V.35 CPE device of my own design and make, see earlier messages in this
thread), I was using an always-on (immediate redial on disconnect) analog
modem connection at 31200 bps.  One of the 4.3BSD-Quasijarus MicroVAXen
acted as the router, and the PPP implementation in the kernel was written
by me from scratch: the original non-Quasijarus 4.3BSD only had SLIP.

MS