Token ring? topic hijack: was Re: Mystery open source switching

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Nov 3 04:56:10 UTC 2010

I wrote:

: Thin.  I *so* wish I had thick coaxial Ethernet, but alas, my present
: physical facility is just too small for that: my present coax Ethernet
: network is contained within a single machine room which is a converted
: bedroom.

Forgot to add: this thin coax Ethernet interconnects several MicroVAXen
(including ivan.Harhan.ORG, the machine on which my mail lives and from
which I am sending this post) running 4.3BSD-Quasijarus, and a Cisco
2500 router which connects my retrocomputing centre to
ARPANET^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSDSL.  The SDSL connection is made via a device of
my very own design and make that connects to the copper pair, handles
the physics of 2-wire full-duplex transmission, and converts SDSL/ATM to
V.35, or more precisely EIA-530, which then goes to the Cisco 2500.

MS