Failover IPv6 with multiple PA prefixes (Was: IPv6 fc00::/7 - Unique local addresses)

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Tue Nov 2 12:26:19 UTC 2010

> About the only hack I can see that *might* make sense would be that
> home CPE does NOT honour the upstream lifetimes if upstream
> connectivity is lost, but instead keeps the prefix alive on very
> short lifetimes until upstream connectivity returns.

Yep, that's the hack I was getting at.

As a non-technical end-user, once my CPE has got a prefix from my ISP and advertised it to the devices on my LAN, the same prefix should keep working until:

-my ISP assigns a different one
-the end of time

whichever comes first :)

Having my PC not be able to talk to my printer any more because my DSL / cable / wimax / whatever has been down for "too long" is not acceptable.

Regards,
Tim.