FIOS Router

Robert Enger - NANOG nanog at enger.us
Thu May 27 19:22:39 UTC 2010

  Sadly, I have only the 50/20 FiOS service.  I would love to get 100/100.  Where do I sign up.

My initial installation used MoCA.  It would not reliably deliver 50Mbps on tcp-based download tests.  (coax network brand new, very small).  Test results were erratic, typically between 30 and 40Mbps.  Technician told me to put up with it (not making this up).

I fought with VZ and had them re-provision me to 100BaseT connection on the ONT.  I immediately observed reliable, consistent download speeds at 51.8Mbps.  (Since dropped to 49.2 after their speed re-provisioning a few months ago.)

MoCA is a half-duplex channel with sophisticated MAC (e.g. BW reservations and so forth).   The MoCA diag displays show that the STBs see each other and the Actiontech at speeds over 220Mbps.  I doubt the issue is inadequate phy connection.  I assume the interplay between the MoCA MAC and TCP yields poor performance.  But, I did not research this.  I had them take my Internet off the MoCA path and it has worked fine since.

So, how I go about getting 100/100?